Server Farm

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Thu Apr 26 07:24:15 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 07:17:46 Mad Unix wrote:
> currently am building a web/DB/mail servers to replace old boxes. my
> solution will spread the DB from the Web traffic. I am trying to implement
> the best solution for
> this and i need your opinion:
>
> sample 1
>
> |PIX|-----| 2x Cluster Apache/php server |------ |2 x Clustered DB
>
> servers|------------|SAN storage|
>
> sample 2
>
> |PIX|-----| HW Load balancer|-----------|  2x Apache/php server |------ |
> | 2x
>
> Clustered DB servers|------------|SAN storage|
>

> my solution should consider the following:
> -separate Web traffic and Database
> -spread that load over one or more server (master/slave)
> -have some kind of Failover or High Availability
> -being able to continually add more servers and space
>
> the solution will provide web/DB/mail services
> - Apache
> - Qmail
> - Oracle DB + MySQL DB
> - Custom phps
>
> your feedback please!
>

> --
> madunix

To solve the problem of load balancing and HA (failover), you can use
LVS+Keepalived and route the traffic either to the apache1 or the apache2 by
using round robin or weigth round robin algorithm, depends on your needs.
You can also keep all that stuff monitorice with some tools such as Pandora
Free Monitoring System (http://pandora.sf.net), and send and email or SMS
when one of the nodes of the cluster fail or even when there's a failover of
the apaches, db or whatever...

Hope this helps.
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.