file system with errors

Steve Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Wed Feb 7 14:41:52 UTC 2007

RedHat 4.x system.
I am trying to boot a linux system that has 4 HD's.  3 of them are on
in a raid 5 configuration and the other one is the boot drive with
the OS on it.  When I boot the system, I get the message
/var/spool/mail contains a file system with errors, check forced.
The file system in question is the raid and is 500GB in size.  I let
it run for several days at boot up but it never came out of the file
system check and the hard drive lights stop blinking after only about
an hour, give or take.  How can I tell it at boot time to NOT do a
file system check like this so that I can get into the system and
either run it manually or format the partition again.
Suggestions?

Thanks
Steve