Fedora 6 Advice

Lord of Gore lordofgore at logsoftgrup.ro
Fri Jan 26 10:58:47 UTC 2007

Derek Manson wrote:
> Good morning everyone,
>
> I am seeking some advice on how to move forward with our plans to
> integrate Fedora 6 into our network. We are a small town ISP currently
> running in an all Windows network. Moving into this new year we are
> discovering that our costs to run this type of network is getting very
> costly. We are looking to move our entire services to Linux and preferably
> Fedora. I have done a bit here and there with Fedora 5 and 6, however, not
> to this large of scale. My question is how and where should I be looking
> to get a really good understanding of how to operate in Fedora 6? We are
> needing to setup a Fedora an email and web solution rather soon. I have
> read a number of tutorials, forums and even some published books, I just
> need a bit more. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
> Derek M.

The Fedora/RHEL question is your choice after all because you have to
consider bugets. As for the services I'm not the Wizard of Oz but I'm
doing kinda the same thing and I'm using

Fedora
mysql and postgresql for databases
qmail providing smtp and pop3 flavoured with:
    vpopmail for virtual domains
    spamassassin for antispam
    clamav as mail antivirus
    courier imap for imap(s) (gee I guess you haven't seen that coming :) )
    squirell for webmail
    courierpass to let outside users change their passwords via webmail
    qmailadmin and vqadmin to administer the email domains and accounts
    you should also patch qmail before compiling with various patches,
including the ISP patch ;)
bind for dns (although I promised myself months ago that I should
install Dan Bernstein's djb-dns that I recommend to you too)
apache to serve http
ssh of course
vsftp with a tight update schedule
nagios for monitoring
iptables as firewall
squid as IDS
given the circumstances you should (or not) install a cpanel solution to
provide outside users access to their domain configuration. I didn't for
example. I don't like things set-up on my server that I don't know about :)

Again this is not a certified solution but it's free, gives the biggest
number of facilities while using the most secure software (and I am
especially talking about the qmail part) and it's working great for me.
No bugs, no errors, no hacking, no perspiration.
I feel I'm forgetting something but I'm sure somebody will fill in the
gaps rapidly
 :)

Good luck