Smbfs vs. cifs after upgrade to 4.5

Ramsey, Robert L robert-ramsey at uiowa.edu
Wed May 9 20:56:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

I upgraded to RHEL 4.5 recently from our local satellite server.  Before
the update, I was mounting shares from a windows 2003 server in
/etc/fstab like this:

//SERVER1/SHARE1 /MNT1 cifs credentials=/root/.share1 0 0

//SERVER2/SHARE2 /MNT2 cifs credentials=/root/.share2,uid=48,gid=48 0 0

My credentials file had:

Username=ACCOUNT

After the upgrade, this broke completely and I could not mount the
drives at all.  I would get NOACCESS errors and permission denied errors
from samba.

To fix it, I had to change my fstab to this:

//SERVER1/SHARE1 /MNT1 smbfs credentials=/root/.share1 0 0

//SERVER2/SHARE2 /MNT2 smbfs credentials=/root/.share2,uid=48,gid=48 0 0

My credentials file had:

Username=DOMAIN/ACCOUNT

I was able to mount the shares, but it would take a minute or two for
the mount to complete.

Any ideas why this may have happened?  There were no changes to the
windows servers.  Server1 is running windows server 2003 R1, Server2 is
running windows server 2003 R2.

Thanks,

Bob