Linux Virtual Servers

Vahric MUHTARYAN vahric at doruk.net.tr
Tue Apr 29 11:21:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

We are using virtuozzo , vmware together. İt depend on what you need.

if you want to save diskspace, use virtuozzo.
Memory saving of virtuozzo is good, I know that vmware have it too, they are
saying balloon , if you have 10 gb physical memory you can share 20 gb to
vms.
Vmware is very used/known software becuase many software vendore default
supporting vmware. For example we had a problem with merak server when run
it on virtuozzo.
if you need to get image of vm and back to physical machine I advise you to
use vmware because you can easyly get image via acronis and back to physical
server with universal restore function.
Vmware max 4 cpu/core can set to each vm not more , but with virtuozzo you
can share all cpus for each container(vm in virtuozzo)
Theoreticaly virtuozzo have better performans because all containers access
hardware without any vmm layer.
Also if you have to need different kernels or oses then you have to use xen
or vmware because for windows and for linux you need two different box on
virtuozzo site.
For fast deploy I always choose virtozzo because you can implament os and
another application templates on the fly.
I know that vmware have some templates too but you need to find your own
needed one or need to install on vm manually an clone it for future use.

Regards
Vahric