VMWare

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 15:45:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 07:39:10 -0800, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:

> Ok, too many jobs want it, so I am going to put it on my system. Now,
> I've done
> some research, and what I need to do is not a bare metal install, but
> rather an
> install *over* an existing operating system (Linux, of course).
>
> So, if I d/l the freeware version (VMWare server, I think it is), are
> there any
> gotchas that will toast my system? Are there things I need to watch for,
> like
> "oh, in 5pt type, and written by a lawyer, translated by someone for whom
> English is a third language, you need to do this and that first, and
> then check
> this option"?
>
> 	mark

Hi Mark,

You don't install "over" an existing operating system but rather install it on a host system (running Linux or Windows). It is just like another application running.

Yes, VMware Server 2.0 will do what you need (the other option is VMware ESXi / VMware ESX which is what you considered as the barebone installation (although it's as easy as a thumb drive plugin w/ the VMware embedded hypervisor.

There aren't any gotcha's and VMware Server is nothing new (been around for a long time, and prior to being free it was VMware GSX).

Have fun
--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete.  I say stop being perfect.  I say let's evolve.  Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club