Password Complexity in Linux

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:46:41 UTC 2008

The useradd command will let you tune password expiration times per user..
but for creating complex passwords, you could always create your own
modified passwd tool that users have to use to enforce your complexity.
As for having the last 4 passwords not used, I'd probably end up creating a
database of some sort that my custom passwd tool would tap into.

There are probably solutions/built-in's already that take care of this, but
that'd be my first thought (I usually think about what I'd do before
searching for already existing solutions).

I'm interested to hear what other people use/would use to handle this :D

Chet

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM, karthik keyan <karthik_arnold1 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I would like to setup passwd complexity on our Linux servers .
>
> Min 8 characters - 1 upper , 1 digit and 1 Lower character
>
> Last used 4 passwords should not be used
>
> And also i want to set Passwd expiry for user accounts which are already
> created and These passwd complexity should apply to users which has alreay
> been created .
>
> I Need  your valuable help and advice
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Karthik