Password Complexity in Linux

Wayne Betts wbetts at bnl.gov
Mon Jun 30 17:01:39 UTC 2008

I replace cracklib with passwdqc in my pam.d system-auth.  This allows
simple rules that would match the OP's needs for complexity.  (Though
the cracklib docs seem to indicate it can do these things too, I have
not gotten it to work.)  I use the "remember=X" option for pam_unix to
remember "X" previous password hashes in /etc/security/opasswd.

If you have the pam_passwdqc package installed, then use the man page
for pam_passwdqc to see how to configure it.