postfix error

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Dec 2 01:18:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Ahmed Mohamed wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a CENTOS 5.4 postfix mailserver. It was working fine untill yesterday
> when
>
> I could't fetch mail from the default directory "'Maildir/". I could see the
> mail in the home users directory under /home/users/Maildir/new/  but
>
> users are not able to access through  mail client Evollution. The mail
> client agent delays response and after a minute or so gives up
>
> with the following errors:
>

> Error while Fetching Mail.
> Could not connect to xyz.com: Connection timed out
>
> both postfix and dovecot services are up and running fine. The mail server
> is also response to port 25.

Since you can see the mail in Maildir, this is not a postfix problem,
but a dovecot related issue, did you restart dovecot?

Can you  " telnet your.mail.serer 110 "

if it repsonds type :

user  your_username

pass  your password

it should them let you know if youve logged in by showing you:
+OK Logged in.

then type:   list
it should return the number of messages waiting, ( quit to logout )
if that works the problem then lies with evolution

If not working, in dovecot.conf add:
 			   mail_debug = yes

then  restart dovecot, and review the logs..

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!