DNS Communication

Naju .... najum.c at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:13:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

AFAIK, a dns master server will not send any notifications to slaves. A
slave server lookup for an updated zone data according to it's refresh time
( mentioned in SOA). When a slave contacts master for a zone data, it first
ask for the serial number on the data, if the slave's serial number for this
zone is lower than the master's, then slave's zone data is out of date. So
slave pulls a new copy of zone( an AXFR transfer).

Whenever you update the master's database, you should bumb the serial number
as well.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Giuseppe Fuggiano <
giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Given two DNS servers, one master and one slave, I'd like to
> understand what exactly happens when I update the database of the
> first one.
>
> What I know is that the first one, if properly configured, sends a
> NOTIFY message to its slave and the slave replies.  What happens then?
>  How the slave update its database?
>
> Good links are also welcome.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Giuseppe Fuggiano