High Load and Low CPU & Memory

Troy Knabe knabe at 4j.lane.edu
Mon Mar 2 21:05:08 UTC 2009

I have some brand new servers with 2 - Dual Core Xeons 3.33 Ghz and
48Gb of RAM.  Intermittently they are spiking to high load averages 5+
or sometimes even 10+ and the application (oracle application server)
becomes unresponsive.  We are moving them from 2 - Dual Core Opterons
2.4 Ghz and 12GB of RAM, and never experienced this type of
situation.  Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to start
looking?

I am using Kerberos/LDAP authentication/authorization for the new
ones, but the ldap servers do not appear to be the issue.  The oracle
user is local to each server.

Thanks
-Troy