Programming Languages that UNIX / Linux programmer or System Administrators Use

Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva dk_mahadeva at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 21:37:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

What are some of the mostly used Programming Languages that UNIX / Linux programmer or System Administrators prefer to write their subroutines, modules, or applications in? I know C and am grasping knowledge of C++ and Java as these programming languages are a part of my M.Sc. IT course. I am fidning Shell Script very interesting and not so difficult to understand because my knowledge of C is proving a great deal of help in learning Bash Shell Script.

But I see that there are other programming languages and tools such as Python, Ruby, etc. So, which one(s) should I focus on such that I can make a great difference in my career and job?

With regards,

Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva
System Analyst (Data Center Operations)
HCL Comnet, Noida (India).