Programming Languages that UNIX / Linux programmer or System Administrators Use

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Tue May 26 21:49:42 UTC 2009

Hi, Devarishi,

Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva wrote:

> What are some of the mostly used Programming Languages that UNIX / Linux
> programmer or System Administrators prefer to write their subroutines,
> modules, or applications in? I know C and am grasping knowledge of C++ and
> Java as these programming languages are a part of my M.Sc. IT course. I am
> fidning Shell Script very interesting and not so difficult to understand
> because my knowledge of C is proving a great deal of help in learning Bash
> Shell Script.
>
> But I see that there are other programming languages and tools such as
> Python, Ruby, etc. So, which one(s) should I focus on such that I can make a
>  great difference in my career and job?

I've never written a C program for use as a systems admin in eight years (I
have written a *lot* of C, but that was as a programmer); it's all shell
scripting and perl. Python seems to be up-and-down in popularity. The thing to
focus on is what *system* tasks you need to do as an admin, and that's where
perl, and I guess python (and I've a friend who's a TK/TCL fan) are what you
need. I'd also recommend korn, in addition to bash; korn is what's generally
used in production on non-Linux systems, rather than bash.

	mark