lvreduce and lvextend

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Mar 26 15:03:39 UTC 2010

> Rob wrote:
>> Ah.  The other email, IE the one I replied to, didn't have Task 2, just
>> task 1.
>>
>> I'm not sure if shrinking online is supported or not...
>>
> I, for one, would *not* write code to allow that. The chances of toasting
> your f/s, and or files on it, are far too close to 1:1.
>
>         mark
>> Rob Marti

It can be done, if the tools are smart enough to do it.

On the AIX systems I manage, under JFS2, IBM's LVM tool can and will
shrink the filesystems while online.  I believe that it's written to do so
as long as the amount of space you wish to remove is actually free.

On the other hand, I always check those filesystems to make sure that the
requisite amount of space is free prior to shrinking the filesystem.
Better to be safe than sorry.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org