Persistant Static Routes based on TCP ports

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Mon Nov 29 19:05:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 09:55:39AM -0800, Matty Sarro wrote:
> I appreciate the followup, however that's not going to help us. As for what
> we're trying to receive, only certain ports will be open on each server.
> Basically what I need is policy  based routing, where the policy is
> determined by TCP/UDP ports.

You might need to make use of iptables and NAT.  Tag traffic heading
out on a certain port to go out another interface, rewrite the source
address correctly, etc.

I've never tried this, but imagine it would work in simple cases,
though for connections implemented by the client you'd obviously need
to build either some intelligence into the client or use DNS SRV
records to help define where connections should travel to based on a
service identifier.

LARTC[1] is still probably your best starter resource.

Ray

[1] http://lartc.org/howto/