tool to check security

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Feb 1 16:28:41 UTC 2011

ESGLinux wrote:

> I have received a machine with RHEL 5.1installed and I have to put in a
> production enviroment with other machines I have installed.

First, I'd yum update or up2date it to the current 5.5 (5.6?).

> I haven´t installed this machine and I want to check if it is secured and
> it can´t make problems with my systems.
>
> Long time ago I used a tool that your run on a system (perhaps it was a
> Suse... I used to work with Suse in the past) and it gave me a report for
> possible security problems but I can´t remmember which tool was.
>
> Any one knows a tool that makes this work?

There are a number of tools, but it depends on what you want to do with
the box. For example, nmap will scan ports. On the other hand, there's my
favorite, Bastille Linux, which is not a distro, but a package that's a
set of hardening scripts, and will walk you through shutting down or
removing everything you don't need. I've used that on a box I was using
for years as a firewall/router.

So, what do you want to do with the box?

         mark