Proxy server: Squid + dansguardian

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:35:46 UTC 2011

2011/3/23 Francisco José Márquez Gómez <fjmarquez.ext at chguadalquivir.es>:
> The system will be virtual, I use VMWare ESX, but I want know how much
> resource should I use for it (mainly, hard disk, ram and processor).

As I said before, I don't recommend VM but YMMV. In any case, you
should check out Squid's documentation.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidProfiling

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BestOsForSquid

     What matters the most to obtain the most out of any setup is to
properly tune a few parameters. In priority order:

    * amount of physical memory available
          - the more the better, squid performance will suffer badly
if parts of it are swapped out of core memory
    * Number of harddrives used for cache and their architecture
          - squid disk access patterns hit particularly hard RAID
systems - especially RAID4/5. Since the data are not by definition
valuable, it is recommended to run the cache_dirs on JBOD 1 (see
SquidFaq/RAID) of course the disk type matters: SCSI performs better
than ATA, 15kRPM is better than 5.4kRPM, etc.
    * noatime mount option
          - atime is just useless for cache data - squid does its own
timestamping, mounting the filesystem with the noatime option just
saves a whole lot of writes to the disks
    * amount of space used
          - always leave about 20% of free space on the filesystems
containing your cache_dirs: generally FS performance degrades
dramatically if used space exceeds 80%
    * on OSes which offer multiple choices, type of filesystem (except
for a few really bad choices)

Other interesting URLs:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/