[redhat-lspp] LSPP/RBACPP requirements v.002

Joy Latten latten at austin.ibm.com
Thu Sep 29 21:45:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 09:05 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 06:27 -0500, serue at us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Wouldn't the important thing be the ability to quickly download just
> > the selinux tests, and compile, load policy, and run tests, as
> >
> > 	make
> > 	make load
> > 	make test
> >
> > or something like that?  Is there actually some inherent value in
> > using the perl Test module, such that we should consider going back
> > to that?
>
> I'm not certain whether this is true of the LTP tests or not, but with
> the perl Test-based suite, after running the top-level make test and
> seeing the summary of success/failures, I could drop into the individual
> subdirectories of any failed test and run the script by hand there to
> get more verbose output about the nature of the failure.  So the
> testsuite could operate as a whole with summary data or as independent
> units with greater detail, all using the same infrastructure.

Some knowledge of LTP is required to write the testcases, but it is not
very much. It is probable that the person who will write testcases will
have committed bandwidth to increasing coverage, and this will include
learning LTP. However, I think executing testcases in LTP is a task we
want to be easy enough for anyone to do. If there is something we can do
to make it easier, we should take a look.

To run or debug individual testcases, the ltp/runtest directory contains
the file, "selinux" which contains the testcases to run. You can save
this file to another name and then modify it to contain only the test
you need to run or debug. Also, add "set -x" to shell script  you want
to debug. If I recall correctly, the debug info will be printed to one
of the results/selinux* files.

There is the alternative of keeping the tests in LTP, but removing the
test harness and perhaps porting them back to perl. I think this may
make them easier to run, but I do not know if this will
get folks enthusiastic about writing testcases. :-)

Joy