[redhat-lspp] no console login prompt on first boot

Linda Knippers linda.knippers at hp.com
Mon Jan 29 23:41:57 UTC 2007

Following up from our call today...

I've installed some old bits (stock snapshot 6) but with that build, I can
reproduce the problem of no login prompt on the console after the first boot
after an lspp kickstart installation.

I can ssh in and see that there is no getty running on the console port
(/dev/ttyS1 in my case).  There are mingetty's running on the other tty
ports.  All my tty devices appear to be labeled correctly.  I don't see any
messages in the audit log or messages file that indicate a problem.

If I run "init q" I immediately get an agetty, rather than a
mingetty, which is what I'd expect based on the /etc/inittab on my system.

George, I assume you're running more current bits?  I'd file the bz but
I probably need to set up to install fresher bits.

I can do this again if there is stuff someone would like to see
captured when its in that state.

-- ljk