[redhat-lspp] no console login prompt on first boot

George Wilson gcwilson at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 30 01:34:28 UTC 2007

redhat-lspp-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 01/29/2007 17:41:57:

> Following up from our call today...
>
> I've installed some old bits (stock snapshot 6) but with that build, I
can
> reproduce the problem of no login prompt on the console after the first
boot
> after an lspp kickstart installation.
>
> I can ssh in and see that there is no getty running on the console port
> (/dev/ttyS1 in my case).  There are mingetty's running on the other tty
> ports.  All my tty devices appear to be labeled correctly.  I don't see
any
> messages in the audit log or messages file that indicate a problem.
>
> If I run "init q" I immediately get an agetty, rather than a
> mingetty, which is what I'd expect based on the /etc/inittab on my
system.

Hmm.  These ppc64 partitions use /dev/hvc0.  I'll try a fresh install
in the next couple of days with root ssh login enabled and examine the box
again.

> George, I assume you're running more current bits?  I'd file the bz but
> I probably need to set up to install fresher bits.

Yes, I got this on the Snap 7 (0112) build with the lspp.64 kernel and the
18 cert rpm.  I'll go ahead and file a bug.

> I can do this again if there is stuff someone would like to see
> captured when its in that state.

Dunno what to capture.  Anything interesting in /var/log/security?  I
didn't think to look there last time.

> -- ljk
>

> --

Thanks,