Migration of accounts from Solaris to Linux

PC Test User pctest at science.usyd.edu.au
Fri Apr 8 06:48:36 UTC 2005

I am replacing a Solaris 2.6 server (Ultra 10) with a Dell PowerEdge 2800
running RHEL ES 3.  The old server runs samba 2.2.5 and acts as a Windows
NT PDC for our domain.  The users log in to their roaming profile form
Windows XP computers which have joined the domain as machine clients.  The
new server has its own host name but will replace the old server as PDC,
authentication server and file server and the old server will be
decommissioned.  The new server will run samba 3.0.9.

I plan to migrate the Unix and samba accounts from the old server to the
new server and would like to preserve user and machine names as well as
users' passwords in both Unix and samba if I can.

Has anyone successfully done what I want to do including preserving
passwords?  If so, what method did you use?

Cheers,
Justin Sashiabel