LVM and ext3 FS labels not playing nice?

James Puellmann superfueld at charter.net
Tue Jan 25 17:38:00 UTC 2005

This applies to RHEL ES 3.0 running on Dell PowerEdge machines.

All of our ext3 filesystems (except /boot) are on logical voumes.

As a general rule, I like to use FS labels whenever possible, just to
avoid confusion. I don't want to remember which LV is /var; I just want
to know it's the one with LABEL=/var. So I replaced all of the
/dev/vg##/lvol## entries in my /etc/fstab file with LABEL=<whatever>. So
far, no problems. The system will boot like this.

The problem happens  after I upgrade the kernel. After upgrading the
kernel, the kernel panics at boot time because it can't find the initrd
image.

After rescuing the system, rewriting the fstab so it no longer uses
LABELs, and manually running mkinitrd for the new kernel, everything is
back to normal. hrm.

So it seems that using LABEL entries for logical volumes in fstab causes
mkinitrd to create a broken img file (though it doesn't error out).
Replacing the LABEL entries with /dev/vg##/lvol## and rerunning mkinitrd
fixes this problem.

Can somebody shed some light on what exactly went wrong here? I've had
success running mkinitrd with LABEL entries before I was using LVM but
it apears that LVM + FS labels + mkinitrd = kernel panic. What's broken
and how do I fix it?

- James Puellmann
:wq