Disk partitions and LVM limits

Olt, Joseph jolt at ti.com
Tue Feb 12 12:15:32 UTC 2008

Hello Peter,

According to centos.org, you should be able to create a partition that
size: http://www.centos.org/product.html.  RedHat had an ext3 filesystem
limit of 2TB until RHEL4.  I know you want to make the space usable, but
do you really need a single filesystem that is that large?  Generally,
you don't see filesystems larger then 2TB without using a special
filesystem that will scale across multiple partitions and you have a
specific need you are solving.  Just remember that if you create that
large of a filesystem and it gets corrupt, all of that data is lost.
There is also a greater consideration for backup and restore.  If you
have smaller partitions and one partitions backup job fails, you still
have the others.  If possible, you may want to consider creating smaller
filesystems and mount them where you need the space.

Regards,

Joseph