Disk partitions and LVM limits

Jonathan S. Billings jsbillin at Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 12 13:05:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:01:21AM -0800, Peter Blajev wrote:
> Any idea how to make this space usable?
> Is there a limit how big a partition can be? What is the work around?
> Is there a limit how big a file system ca be?

You need to use a different kind of partition table.  Use 'parted' to
create a new label on the device, and use 'mklabel gpt' instead.  GPT
partition tables can support up to 128 partitions, so no need to
create extended partitions.

I believe most modern bootloaders understand gpt, I'm sure CentOS5
does.  You can create >2T volumes with GPT.

I'm not sure on the maximum size limit for GPT partition table
partitions, but I'm sure it's above 10T, since I've created volumes
that size.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at princeton.edu>
Computational Science and Engineering Support (CSES)