Is It Possible To Move Logical Volumes?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Aug 26 21:21:11 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Dave Bacon <dbacon at mail.owls.lib.wi.us> said:
> Thank you for your prompt reply Chris.  I fully understand and agree
> with your /var suggestion.  Would it be possible, or even wise, to just
> move /var/spool/mail to /dev/sdb?  This is the directory in /var I was
> most concerned about.

Yes, if you are delivering to a common mail spool, you might want to
make /var/spool/mail a separate filesystem.  The alternative is to
deliver to home directories; that puts all your data for a given user in
one place (and means you don't have to pre-decide how much space should
be for mail spool and how much for home directories/IMAP folders).

I'm in the early planning stages of replacing an old mail server that
handles ~12,000 users, and that's what I'm planning to do.  Right now,
we have the mail spool in one filesystem and home directories in
another, but I'm going to switch to delivery to home directories (and
most likely from mbox to Maildir++).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>