Rollback Patches

Christian Campbell ccampbell at brueggers.com
Tue Sep 8 16:45:35 UTC 2009

> He's not asking about OS Upgrades.. but more patches etc, so singular
> application updates.
>
> Christian,
> You can always rollback with rpm -Uvh --force to the old version of the
> rpm (do you have up2date set to keep the rpm's locally?).
>
> What version of RHEL are you running?

RHEL 4.5.  Keepafterinstall is set to 0 currently.

So I understand, if I upgraded cpp from 3.4.6-10 to 3.4.6-11, and I needed to roll it back, I could do:

rpm -Uvh --force cpp-3.4.6-10

and a rpm -qi cpp would then show:  cpp-3.4.6-10?

This obviously wouldn't roll back any dependencies it had to satisfy for the upgraded rpm to be installed...correct?  I found some old documentation and it's unfortunate this can't be done anymore:  rpm -Uvh --rollback '2 hours ago'

Any idea why they removed it?

Christian