[rhelv6-beta-list] tomcat 6 with redhat 6

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:30:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:12 AM, bryan <bryan at redfedora.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Someone suggested that I post here rather than where I'd previously posted.
>
> I'd be really grateful to hear of anyones experiences of getting tomcat 6 up
> and running with rpms and how you managed to do it. I think there are some
> intracacies missing that I'm blissfully unaware of in getting this away and
> it's driving me nuts. Just a do this in /etc/tomcat6 with the conf file and
> make sure you have this done so it starts automatically, a bit of witchcraft
> and consult the high priestess for the card reading is sufficient...I don't
> want to go down the get the apache binary, create a tomcat user download
> this from Sun etc route if I can avoid it.

I got involved with this in RHEL 5, and using the JPackage repository,
and fortunately RHEL has included tomcat 6 for the new RHEL 6 beta.
Why don't you simply grab the SRPM and recompile from that, if you
want to make updates or changes, or use the binary if you don't? This
process is already integrated into that RPM and you can save yourself
a lot of work over trying to re-architect the layout manually. That's
what RPM's are *for*.