[rhelv6-beta-list] Installing Nvidia graphics drivers?

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Fri Jul 30 13:06:32 UTC 2010

I've installed the latest beta2 on a workstation with an Nvidia graphics
card and I wanted to install the Nvidia drivers - but I couldn't as the
nouveau drivers were installed.

It looks like the nouveau driver is still used even when X isn't
running, which seems strange - and it appears impossible to remove it
from a running system.

In the end, I had to boot the machine with "rdblacklist=nouveau" on the
boot command line and create a modprobe.d blacklist entry for nouveau -
which seems a rather over the top procedure ...

Is there a 'proper' way of disabling/removing the nouveau driver?

Thanks

James Pearson