[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Sat Jun 12 18:26:30 UTC 2010

On 06/13/2010 03:40 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
<snip>
> LVM is also a bad, bad, bad idea for virtualized environments, which
> can use the virtualization host's tools to generate snapshots and for
> which probing the filesystem of the guest for analysis or data
> recovery is seriously encumbered by needing to manipulate LVM inside
> the guest's image files. And ye gods, if two guests have identical
> naming schemes you're in for a world of hurt.

As a possibly useful thought, LVM usage with virtualized environments is
something I'm getting into now.  Writing up and revising things as I go,
presently into the Fedora "Virtualization Guide", which then gets
rebranded/tweaked into the the RHEL "Virtualization Guide".

(Very) draft snapshot here.  The LVM stuff is just rough notes at the
moment and has a long way to go:

http://justinclift.fedorapeople.org/Virtualization_Guide/chap-Virtualization-Storage_Pools-Storage_Pools.html#sect-Virtualization-Storage_Pools-Creating-LVM

(Chris Curran is the author of 99.9% of the Virtualization Guide, I'm
only interested in the Storage side of things at present.)

Chris recently pointed out "guestfish", a tool for accessing guest
filesystems:

   http://libguestfs.org/guestfish.1.html

Haven't tried it yet, so no idea of it's capabilities, but apparently
it's not bad.

Any interest in trying it out, seeing if it's practical, and then
writing up content about it for the Virtualization Guide?

(hoping for a yes here)

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift