[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 14:36:21 UTC 2010

On 16 June 2010 14:53, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> John McNulty <johnmcn1 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Small correction. LVM was incorporated into OSF/1 in '89
> > from IBM, not DEC.  DEC included it in the first few
> > releases of DEC OSF/1 but it wasn't feature complete and was
> > buggy as hell. Eventually it got dropped in favour of LSM.
>
> Ahhh, why am I not surprised that OSF was involved at some point.  ;)
>
> In any case, great info.  From now on I'll be a little more generic
> in my "SIDE NOTE."  I only bring it up because I regularly get people
> lambast Linux (Sistina) for the nomenclature approach, and I merely say,
> "it was based on an existing standard, from Digital I believe, but don't
> quote me."

I was at DEC at that time as well.   The original LVM seems to have come
from IBM and appeared in OSF/1 where I took no notice of it at all.   Later,
at HP I had a moment of deja vu when I saw a suspiciously familiar LVM in
HP/UX 9.   By the time it appeared in Red Hat I was thoroughly fluent in the
weird nomenclature.  It always had an IBM "feel" though, I didn't think
anyone at DEC would've come up with something like that.

I've never really had much sympathy with those people who regarded LVM as a
layer that they didn't need or want.  The flexibility it gave on single or
multiple disk systems always outweighed an supposed complexity concerns.
My current favourite is being able to create, say, a 2TB logical volume on
my 120GB disk; it's really useful for testing stuff.   I only wish I could
get 2TB of data in it :-)

jch