[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

Jean-Yves LENHOF jean-yves at lenhof.eu.org
Wed Jun 16 13:17:11 UTC 2010

> Jon Masters wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 13:40 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> While LVM is useful for re-allocating disk space for
>>> alternative partition layouts, and its snapshot capability is very
useful in some environments, and it can handle this reasonably
gracefully, it does absolutely nothing for resizing the filesystems.

>> Filesystems can generally be resized (not always live) and then the
volume that contains them can be resized accordingly. Using LVM
provides this option, whereas using a raw disk partition or device does
not.

> The only times I've felt the need to resize filesystems has been when
replacing disks, because the old one is too small. Generally, I don't
even have the option of retaining the old one.

> The process is to partition new drive, copy data (often using dd), then
resize target filesystem.

> LVM offers me nothing but an extra step or two.

Hi,

With LVM you can do it completely online without dismounting file
system... pvmove is in this case something usefull.

The only thing not using LVM in our server is /boot because it could not
be on LVM (But with grub2, this will probably change). Dismounting a file
system to grow it is something we try to avoid. (This is the "unix" way of
doing it on critical servers).

Regards,