[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 22:10:07 UTC 2010

On 16 June 2010 19:50, John McNulty <johnmcn1 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> This brings me onto the reason why I don't like using UUIDs like this.
> It's all fine and dandy for locating the filesystem on a functioning system:
> [snip]
> So what's the rational for the change?   With the old way it was easy to
> just add -L /boot to mkfs and forget about it.

Conflict resolution.  Without it, it's all too easy to wind up with two file
systems with the same label, especially when you're dealing with
virtualization.   You may well have a partition somewhere that is used by a
guest that has the same label as /boot and you really don't want the wrong
one mounted.

Even worse, this is not something you, the machine administrator have  much
control over.  You can give a partition to a guest and you really don't have
any sensible control over what the guest does with that partition.  And you
don't want a guest of any flavour making your machine unbootable do you?

It's also handy when you're trying to recover a system: you can pop the disk
from the dead hardware in another machine safe in the knowledge that it's
not going to mess you up (the LV naming scheme change also helps with that.)

jch