[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jun 20 01:14:34 UTC 2010

Jean-Yves LENHOF wrote:

>> The only times I've felt the need to resize filesystems has been when
> replacing disks, because the old one is too small. Generally, I don't
> even have the option of retaining the old one.
>> The process is to partition new drive, copy data (often using dd), then
> resize target filesystem.
>> LVM offers me nothing but an extra step or two.
>
> Hi,
>
> With LVM you can do it completely online without dismounting file
> system... pvmove is in this case something usefull.

I think you are not listening.

SOHO

_small_ system
Here are some pics
http://home.clara.net/msukltdadsl/images/MS2070-LR.jpg
http://images.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/5079-PC006HPdc7700SFFinternal.jpg

I can't even remove a drive without turning off power, Once it's down,
just how important is online resizing? Especially considering that the
relevant disk isn't even in the box? I can't online-resize the old one,
there' no free space. Resizing the new one is impossible, it has no
filesystem to resize.

> The only thing not using LVM in our server is /boot because it could not
> be on LVM (But with grub2, this will probably change). Dismounting a file
> system to grow it is something we try to avoid. (This is the "unix" way of
> doing it on critical servers).

I am talking about my environment, not yours. How I wish you would
address mine!