[rhelv6-list] selinux (not quite) disabled?

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:06:01 UTC 2010

On 3 December 2010 00:59, Marti, Robert <RJM002 at shsu.edu> wrote:

> SELinux scares people, to put it simply. Instead of fixing thinks to work
> with it, it gets disabled so no one has to deal with it. I'd rather fix it,
> but the normal complaint is lack of time to do it right. I normally set it
> to permissive mode and make a note to come back and address the issues
> later. So far later hasn't come.

This is an argument I have sympathy with.

However, just short of three years ago I decided enough was enough and I was
going to get to grips with this thing on my laptop.  So I left selinux
enabled.when I installed whatever was the current Fedora at the time.

As I recall, the only problem I had was with the web server I was
running(*)   Fixing that was a matter of ten minutes between me and
google.   Since that time I've picked up other selinux stuff incrementally —
I'm far from being an expert but I'm not afraid of selinux any more and I
can make use of it after a fashion.   (Fedora 14 has a problem with some 32
bit apps and selinux but I can live without dropbox for the moment.)

jch

* yes, on a laptop: you have problem with that? :-)