[rhelv6-list] using buildinstall on rhel6

Tim Czerwonka timc at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 1 16:45:54 UTC 2011

Can anyone report success using /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall
to generate updated install media on rhel6?

I'm looking for an updated initrd suitable for booting via pxe.  The
images/pxeboot/vmlinuz,initrd.img from the 6.1 CD work fine but I'd
prefer to start with a newer kernel and modules than 2.6.32-131.0.15.

We've used buildinstall extensively in RHEL5 for the same purpose.
The options for buildinstall appear to have changed in RHEL6 -- no
problem -- but I can't seem to generate an environment or command line
options that lead to success.

Example:
[root at tornado fail]#  /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall  --version 6.1 --product "CSL foo Linux" --release "csl rhel 6 dot 1" /scratch/extracted/ 2>&1 | tee buildinstall-fail1.txt

gives output:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/buildinstall-fail1.txt

I've also experimented using dracut to generate a initrd suitable for pxe
but get an initrd that when extracted is remarkably different than the RHEL-
supplied pxeboot initrd -- and it doesn't work either.

Any insight or links to relevant documentation are appreciated.

best--
--Tim

Tim Czerwonka, timc at cs.wisc.edu