[rhelv6-list] RHEL6 Wireless problem

Robin Price II rprice at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 16:37:47 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 08:56 AM, 馬小布 wrote:
> Hi, guys:
>

> I have a problem about the RHEL6 x64 wireless, please help me ...
>
> When I restart the network setting, like this :
> [root at genius ~]# /etc/init.d/network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:  Device state: 3 (disconnected)
>                                                             [  OK  ]
> Shutting down interface wlan0:  Error: Device 'wlan0'
> (/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1) disconnecting failed: This
> device is not active
>                                                             [FAILED]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:  Active connection state: activating
> Active connection path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/3
> state: activated
> Connection activated
>                                                             [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface wlan0:  RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>                                                             [  OK
>

> As you can see, the wireless does not start successfully.
> I googled for a long time, but it did not been solved now.
>

> By the way, the following message is my wirless device :
> [root at genius ~]# lspci |grep Wire
> 06:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
> Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01

Hello.  Have you tried with the latest RHEL6.1?

I would also suggest restarting NetworkManager vs restarting the
networking service for wireless controllers.

Are you using the correct module?  Is the module (driver) installed?  A
good way to check would be getting the output of 'lspci' and 'lspci -n'.

Using my x200 laptop as an example, lspci will return a line like:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network
Connection (rev 03)

What is important from this line is the 00:19.0.  At this point, we are
going to check if the above Ethernet controller is supported.  We need
to now get the output from 'lspci -n' on the same machine and look at
the line with 00:19.0 in it.

00:19.0 0200: 8086:10f5 (rev 03)

The important part here is the 8086:10f5.  This is the hardware pci id.
  We can compare this information to the kernel drivers and 'modinfo'.

RHEL{5,6}:

$ find /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers -type f|xargs
modinfo|grep -B 200 -i 8086 | grep -B 50 -i 10f5 | grep filename | tail -n1

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko

Sorry for the ugly command but this information tells us that the card
is supported and in this case tells us the module that it uses.  You may
or may not get the module information.  If you do not, that is a good
indication the piece of hardware is not supported. You should also
search for one part of the hardware pci id to get more results but a
good rule of thumb is if you don't get anything back, then you _may_
(not always) need to get the driver from the vendor.

HTHs,

~rp

--
| Robin Price II - RHCE,RHCDS,RHCVA                   |