[rhelv6-list] Opinions on multi-head

Jussi Silvennoinen jussi_rhel6 at silvennoinen.net
Thu Feb 23 06:37:27 UTC 2012

> I currently use a dual-head setup using a relatively inexpensive nVidia
> Corporation G73 [GeForce 7300 GT] card. I use the DVI and the VGA cables at
> the same time, and it works just fine. I can do wobbly windows and spinny
> desktops and all that jazz (yeah, I like the eye candy, sue me).
>
> I want to go to triple head. I am reasonably sure I can do it with e.g. an
> NVidia Quadro NVS 450, but I am curious as to whether the driver will do
> accelerated X? Three  monitors will be nice, but not if I lose
> capabilities I have now with dual.
>
> So... anyone got any experience with triple-head or beyond? Any advice on
> NVidia Quadro vs. maybe ATI's offering?
>
> I'd love to hear any stories - good or bad - about accelerated X on more than
> two monitors.

NVS 290 worked fine with dualhead via DVI, however it's 3d performance was
too sluggish for me so had to swap it for a Quadro 600. It gets around
9000 fps with glxgears compared to 2500 fps on the NVS 290.

With the NVS 290, enabling compiz slowed down OpenGL stuff so much that I
just couldn't live with it. User experience is silky smooth now. The 600
card I got had one DisplayPort and one DVI so I had to venture with a
DP->DVI dongle. No problems there. Haven't found myself wanting
triplehead yet.

I've practically always had a nVidia in my workstation. No clue about the
current state of AMD GPU support in Linux these days.

--

   Jussi