[rhelv6-list] Opinions on multi-head

Jerry Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Thu Feb 23 01:18:13 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 04:04 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Howdy All -
>
> I currently use a dual-head setup using a relatively inexpensive
> nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7300 GT] card. I use the DVI and the
> VGA cables at the same time, and it works just fine. I can do wobbly
> windows and spinny desktops and all that jazz (yeah, I like the eye
> candy, sue me).
>
> I want to go to triple head. I am reasonably sure I can do it with
> e.g. an NVidia Quadro NVS 450, but I am curious as to whether the
> driver will do accelerated X? Three  monitors will be nice, but not if
> I lose capabilities I have now with dual.
>
> So... anyone got any experience with triple-head or beyond? Any advice
> on NVidia Quadro vs. maybe ATI's offering?
>
> I'd love to hear any stories - good or bad - about accelerated X on
> more than two monitors.

I use Ubuntu 11.10 for my desktop, but that said, I run an ATI 5770 card
in triple head mode with full acceleration (and compiz, mainly to make
Docky happy). All three run DVI with two coming from the built-in DVI
ports and the third coming from an active DisplayPort -> DVI adapter. It
took a bit of fiddling around with the Catalyst control panel to get
working right, but the only really persistent problem I've had is that
when you first log in the DisplayPort -> DVI doesn't always come up
immediately. It can take a few minutes to decide to come on. Once it
finally comes up it is fine.

--
Benjamin Franz