[rhelv6-list] yum -q spews "Unable to read consumer identity"

"Weiergräber, Oliver H." o.h.weiergraeber at fz-juelich.de
Sun Jun 24 16:21:10 UTC 2012

Hello,
I also ran into this issue - every execution of yum on the command line now results in this message. It seems to occur on systems subscribed to RHN Classic.
To resolve this, I decided to simply migrate my machine to subscription-based RHN (there is a script called "rhn-migrate-classic-to-rhsm" for this purpose).
In principle this worked fine - but two issues are still bothering me now:

1. In Subscription Manager, I was able to subscribe my system using the auto-subscribe button. The "My subscriptions" tab now lists the correct item (RHEL 6 desktop). But the "All available subscriptions" tab is empty, even if I disable all filtering options. Very strange, obviously a bug...

2. I have been using the "priorities" plugin for yum to handle third-party repositories. For RHN Classic I simply put the priority statements in the rhnplugin.conf file. But after the migration it seems to me there is NO possibility to assign the required high priority to the certificate-based redhat repositories.
There is a redhat.repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d, but my "priority=..." lines (which I entered manually) are silently removed by the system !!! Is anyone aware of a proper way to define those priorities for Redhat's certificate-based repos?
If the priorities statements are missing for the redhat repos, they will default to the *lowest* priority, which is obviously not intended :-((
Very annoying...

Oliver