[rhelv6-list] Problems with XFS leaving 0-length files in RHEL 6.2 ... ?

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Sat Oct 13 14:27:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 05:53 +0000, Edmund White wrote:
> What are the names of these files? Can you see when these files are
> created? This may not be an XFS-specific issue.

I definitely agree that it may not be XFS-specific, and I've implemented
some steps to do more investigation (a simple shell script invoked via
cron to get a list of all 0-length files; if there is any change to the
contents of the list from the previous version it's saved, otherwise
it's removed).

One file that seems to be zeroed a lot is the ~/.bashrc of a specific
system account for one of our applications.  If it were only that file I
would be pretty confident that it was not XFS--what are the odds?

But on one other system I saw *.doc files, *.xml files, LICENSE, README,
RELEASE-NOTES.html, and lots of other files that I can't imagine would
ever be modified once installed on the system, all zero-length.

Anyway I obviously don't know enough to say anything concrete yet, but
the behavior is extremely bizarre.  I was wondering if anyone here had a
similar experience and could say "oh yes that's XYZ".

> If you *do* move to EL6.3, there is a major change in XFS that can
> impact your storage requirements/performance.

Thanks for that; that was very interesting!