[rhelv6-list] LDAP without the cruft

William Hopkins we.hopkins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 18:41:42 UTC 2013

On 07/18/13 at 10:31am, Wes Hardin wrote:
> On 07/17/2013 09:48 PM, William Hopkins wrote:

> >>Yes.
> >>
> >My intention is to authenticate using LDAP without running NSCLD. That was in
> >my original post. But thanks for the update.
> >
> Then you need to remove the nss-pam-ldapd package and compile your
> own NSS LDAP library using the PADL sources.
>
> nss-pam-ldapd replaces the old libnss_ldap library with a
> lightweight NSS library and a daemon.  nslcd is the daemon that
> actually does the lookups. nscld is not cruft.  It's new, but it's
> not unnecessary.

I see it is clearly now necessary, but that doesn't make it not cruft. There is
a decided direction in Linux engineering going towards more system daemons and
more layers of abstraction (D-BUS, GConf, Dconf, gsettings, consolekit,
network-manager, policykit, udisks, upower, etc. etc. etc.) I understand for
many of them they gain popularity because they make desktop maintenance easier,
but I resist their encroachment in the server world; philosophically they don't
line up with the UNIX/Linux mindset. Luckily, in the Linux world we are still
allowed to choose. Anyway, that's my little rant on that subject, thanks for
your help.

--
William