[rhelv6-list] Kickstarting RHEL7

Brian Long (brilong) brilong at cisco.com
Fri Jun 13 11:03:53 UTC 2014

On Jun 13, 2014, at 5:40 AM, Ben <bda20 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Apologies for using the RHEL6 list for a RHEL7 issue.  But in the absence of an official RHEL7 discussion list…

There is an unofficial RHEL 7 list here:

> I'm trying to manually kickstart a RHEL7 Workstation.  By which I mean booting from a USB stick, specifying network details manually once the install screens appear, and then specifying the installation method as HTTP and giving the URL.

The RHEL 7 Kickstart instructions should be perused:
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Installation_Guide/sect-kickstart-howto.html

Specifically, it says that any kickstart _requires_ the special boot option ks.inst=/path/to/ks.cfg.  If I were you, I would create an absolute minimum ks.cfg, put it on your USB stick and reference it from syslinux.cfg file on the append line.  Please note I have not yet tried this.

Also, under Chapter 20 boot options, it gives more details on ks.inst:
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Installation_Guide/chap-anaconda-boot-options.html

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Research Triangle Park, NC         . | | | . | | | .