[rhelv6-list] console changing input characters to control characters

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Mar 11 21:47:24 UTC 2014

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Santiago) discussion mailing-list
<rhelv6-list at ...> writes:

> We have a system I'd rather not reboot (running grid engine)
> which had some random keys input via the KVM.
>
> Thereafter the console in any VT does not show the letter
> entered, but rather than control equivalent.  It is like the
> caps lock equivalent of control.  If I try to log in as root,
> the login prompt shows : ^R^O^O^T

I'd be curious to know what KVM and keyboard you were using.  I've had this
happen to me with a Trendnet TK-1603R and a Solidtek ACK-730 PS/2 keyboard,
but it is happening on all of the systems.  Plugging in a USB keyboard into
the KVM fixed it for me.

- Orion