[rhelv6-list] Subscription Manager functionality

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:40:09 UTC 2015

On 2 February 2015 at 14:56, Dan Lah <dlah at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your efforts to reach out,
> > > Dan Lah
> >
> > And again, thank you for taking the time to actually respond on-list.  I
> > wish RH had chosen to stick with the mailing lists.
> >

> I can appreciate that however we try to work thru the Customer Portal for
> communication.  The general emails are designed to direct you to the
> "landing page" so we can have one place to update information.  However, as
> you recognized, the "landing page" is one directional so the RHN Transition
> discussion will hopefully open two-way comm.

The reason people like mailing lists that they only have to go to one place
to gety to everything they're interested in.

A forum is great for disseminating information if you're the
disseminator.   It's a nice easy to manage central place where everything
you care about is in one place and it has all the tools you need for
managing it and keeping up to date.   It's terrific.

On the other hand, in order to read and contribute to all the things I'm
interested in I have to visit each and every web site that hosts a forum
I'm interested in and on each and every forum click through all the topics
that are new or that I have previouslyt noticed (and remembered) are
interesting, fight the clunky reply interface and move on.   And I'm at the
mercy of whatever the network connection is doing to me.

I'm active on half a dozen lists and lurk on many more than that.   Even if
I did nothing else, including sleeping, I could not possibly follow that
many forums.    Even if I dropped the lists I only lurk on I'd still spend
all my waking hours going through forums.

I wouldn't mind a forum if it was also a mailing list.   I know these
things exist, why can't the Red Hat forum also be a mailing list and then
we could all choose?

jch