[rhn-users] Up2date problems

Bret McMillan bretm at redhat.com
Fri Aug 6 20:41:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 03:10:27PM -0500, Leo Happel wrote:

> > 1)  I recently upgraded one system from RH8 to RH Enterprise AS.
> > Up2date runs fine, but the system itself still insists on identifying
> > itself to RHN as a Redhat 8 system, which means I can't entitle the
> > system to Enterprise AS updates (the entitlement is there just waiting
> > on it).  Redhat-release says it's RH Enterprise, so I'm a bit boggled as
> > to what to do.

As was suggested earlier, make sure you don't have multiple accounts,
and that the account you're dealing w/ has available RHEL 3AS
entitlements:

https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/channels/entitlements.pxt

Also, check not just the contents, but the version of your
redhat-release:

[root at mrfurious root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 2)
[root at mrfurious root]# rpm -q redhat-release
redhat-release-3AS-7.2

(You might not have update 2... not a big deal... it's the 3AS bit
that matters)

If those look correct, you might try updating your package profile, to
ensure that RHN has an accurate representation of your rpm manifest:

[root at mrfurious root]# up2date -p
Updating package profile...
Updating transaction history...
[root at mrfurious root]#

Lastly, you might double check to ensure that up2date isn't "faking
out" RHN w/ altered release info... run:

[root at mrfurious root]# up2date --configure

then select the 'Retrieval / Installation' tab, then look at the
dropdown near the bottom that is labeled 'Override version stored in
System Profile'.  Make sure that is set to blank / empty.

Hope this helps.

--Bret