[rhn-users] Horrendous Memory Leak???

James_Webb at aotx.uscourts.gov James_Webb at aotx.uscourts.gov
Fri Dec 10 20:22:24 UTC 2004

Kenneth,

Maybe try top -s from a command line and once it starts, type M, to order
it by Memory Usage.  This may help track down the problem.

Hope this helps,

Jim Webb, RHCE
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
IT Systems Deployment and Support Division, San Antonio, TX

Kenneth Sarno <kmsarno at verizon.net>
Sent by: rhn-users-bounces at redhat.com
12/10/2004 01:09 PM
Please respond to
Red Hat Network Users List <rhn-users at redhat.com>

Red Hat Network Users List <rhn-users at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
[rhn-users] Horrendous Memory Leak???

I'm running the current WS 3 kernel (although older kernels exhibit the
same problem) on an Athlon 3200+ in a Soyo KT880 motherboard with 1GB,
using it as a Samba file server for my little home network. Nothing runs
on it except a software raid 5 with four 200GB drives, which is shared
with a couple of Wintel boxes and Macs in my house using Samba.

If I boot it up and just let it sit there for a day or two, then log in to
a gnome desktop, the system monitor shows 990MB of memory used plus a
couple of hundred MB of swap used too. This is with no users ever having
logged in, except root just to check the system monitor, one time only.
Basically nothing has happened since boot, not even any network activity
against the raid to speak of. Haven't even played solitaire or run a
browser. The memory usage accounted for on the ps -e display is a couple
hundred MB, mostly basic GUI infrastructure stuff, nothing you'd even call
an application. There's something like 700 or 800MB unaccounted for, and
it would probably be even more if I knew how to check for the memory leak
without going into a GUI.

The only thing different about this system from a totally stock binary
kernel is the installation of 3 driver modules: libsata and sata-via (to
handle two of the IDE drives in the raid) and the GBE network chip driver
module, 'velocityget', which I downloaded and compiled from Via to handle
their onboard 6122 network controller. To all outward appearances these
devices work just fine.

The sata drivers are supplied by Red Hat but unsupported. The net driver
is supplied by Via but unsupported. Not being a kernel guru (or any kind
of guru), I don't know how to even start finding out if this egregious
leak is in one of these drivers or someplace else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Ken S.