[rhn-users] RH ES3 Update Packages are generally older/obsolete?

James Bourne jamesb at al.com.au
Mon Dec 13 00:31:14 UTC 2004

Hi List,

(Please correct me if this the wrong list for these sort of issues).

I'm concerned that some of the patches / updates offered by RHN for ES 3 are
detrimental from a functionality perspective? The main three we have issues
with are:

DHCPD

BIND

YP

DHCPD: 3.0pl2. This version is ancient (2+ years?). 3.0.1 superseded it six
months ago. 3.0pl2 contains numerous bugs especially in regard to high
availability "peering" setups.

BIND: 9.2.4. This release is rc6. The decision to distribute a release
candidate version of BIND dumbfounds me as well as several users on the
isc.org list.

YP: 2.8. Another 2+ year old version of the daemon. This version SIGSEGV's
when you supply the -p switch.

In all the daemon's above we have had to replace the binaries via third
party RPM or from source.

Interestingly, we also use SuSE Enterprise 8 and 9 which ship the most
recent versions of all these daemons.

The bottom line is: what am I really paying for here? Old, broken, obsolete
daemons? A vagely souped up version of RedHat 9? Whilst I am "told" that we
are paying for reliability and stability - that's a crock. None of these
daemons work properly out of the box and have to be replaced. Will ES4
resolve this?

James Bourne   |   Platform Engineering

Animal Logic

Building 54