[rhn-users] RH9 & USB ADSL

Conall O'Brien conall+redhat at conall.net
Thu May 20 18:56:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:29:10PM IST, JRH
<v6vitanic at yahoo.co.uk> incoherently babbled:

> <snip>What model SpeedTouch do you have? What colour is it?</snip>
>
> Hi Conall,
>
> It is indeed Silver........
>
> Mandrake wasnt so bad for the speedtouch..... setup your ISP, username and
> password, and it would install the speedtouch RPM, PPP and that was it. All
> you had to do yourself was copy mgmt.o across to the speedtouch
> directory....

That system probably won't work. The main problem with the silver
version is that the firmware file has to be loaded into a different
memory address of the modem, so mgmt.o won't work.

You're best bet is to use the SpeedTouchConf[1] script. I tried using it
back in March but ended up reporting bugs in it instead. I finally got
my silver modem working my using a cvs version of the kernel module, but
it took me 2 months to work out the simple steps to get it to work.

Try the script and see if it helps automate the process. If it doesn't
work, mail me back off the list and I'll expalin the steps I followed to
get it to work reliably. Note ot self: write down steps on a website...
:)

> But the new release of Mandrake 10 totally screwed up as far as Speedtouch
> is concerned..... so thats why I fancy a change.

That's probably due to the 2.6 kernel. Of course, 2.6 kernels are great, but
then I would say that, I roll my own kernels on my Debian boxes within 2
hours of a release. ;)

[1] http://speedtouchconf.sf.net/

--

Conall O'Brien

+353 (0)87 9194139 | http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

Remaining time multiplied by distress is constant.