[rhn-users] NIS server problem - cannot login from Unix clients

Aku Orang Ipoh xixa02 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 26 06:39:40 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I setup one NFS/NIS server using Red Hat Linux v 9,
and the clients are SGI (O/S Irix) and IBM (O/S AIX)
workstations for my customer. The server setup are OK
and running well when I tried to use another Red Hat
Linux as client (NIS user can login from this client).
When I tried to use SGI Irix, the user cannot login
with the error "user cannot login". Then I check the
NIS passwd (using "ypcat passwd"), and found that the
RH9 passwd encryption are longer than Irix. Example
are as below :

SGI Irix ->
usr1:EJr2z35mE2892:1972:0:Testing:/usr1:/bin/bash

RH9 NIS (using ypcat passwd) ->
nis1:$1$oUopbKaO$0NdOP/shwoB7ZOvJretLn1:502:502::/NFS/nis1:/bin/bash

I found that this is the cause of the problem that
make the user cannot login from SGI Irix. When I tried
to copy the passwd encryption from Irix /etc/passwd
user to RH9 NIS server shadow file, then update the
NIS database as below :

RH9 NIS (using ypcat passwd) ->
nis1:EJr2z35mE2892:502:502::/NFS/nis1:/bin/bash

Then my NIS user can login from any of the clients
(using passwd same as usr1 SGI Irix passwd) i.e. can
login from SGI, IBM & RH9.

So how do I shorter the encryption of the passwd file,
so that NIS users can login from any machine without
reinstall and setup back the RH9 NIS (as I remember we
can unselected the longer encryption /etc/passwd file
while installing).