[rhn-users] Installin RH8

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Mon Nov 22 14:57:46 UTC 2004

Jorge wrote:
> Hi. I'm installing RH8 on a machine:
> - Mother board: Intel S875WP1-E
> - SCSI LSI 320-1 Raid.
> - ATAPI cdrom
> I boot from cdrom and then type "linux noprobe dd". I have linux drivers for
> LSI SCSI on RH8. Installation begins, but then, it don't find cdrom. It asks
> me about scsi cdrom, but It doesn't let me to choose ide cdrom.
> I try with "linux noprobe dd hda=cdrom" and with "linux dd hda=cdrom" but It
> doesn't find cdrom. But It boot from cdrom!!!.
> What's wrong? How can I do?

Why the 'noprobe dd'? Let the system pick what it has. Your setup (ide-cdrom and
scsi disks) is frequently found in servers and installs straight from the disks.

Why RH8? Why not FC3 (just released) or RHEL3?

In the end, roumors are RH8 is not the best RH version, RH9 and RH7.3 are
regarded better if you cannot use FC or RHEL.

CBee